Here you can read how to organise the regenerative aspect of your affinity group.
BEFORE THE ACTION
- Have regular calls or meetings with your affinity group to:
- get to know each other a bit
- discuss why you are doing the action
- discuss what you will do when people ask you why you are there, or when people react in an aggressive or defensive way
- Form a signal group with all phone numbers of participating rebels, and make sure you can contact everyone in your affinity group
- Make a list of emergency contacts of everybody in your affinity group and share it with everyone in the group.
- Form buddies: buddy teams are teams of two rebels that have a trust relationship. They stay close to each other during the whole action and watch out for each other.
- Pick one (or two) people in your affinity group that will be the regen people. They get the special task to check on everybody's wellbeing during the action
- Check the weather to see what you have to bring
- Decide what you will do after the action, both in case of arrest or in case of non-arrest.
- Plan a date after the action for a debrief. Yes, do it now already.
Step 1: right before the action (meet at least 30 minutes before)
- meet in a safe zone before the action, at least 30 minutes or an hour before you actually do the action
- start with a warm, comfortable check in: how is everybody feeling? How is everybody doing?
- spend at least 5 minutes only with your buddy to have a more personal conversation, check that you haven't forgotten anything, check on each other's mental wellbeing, make any necessary arrangements.
- go through your plan again: is everything clear to everybody?
- check that you have the arrestee support numbers close by
- check that everybody knows where to go after the action (in case of arrest, a sleepover place)
- check your water supplies and food
- check that everybody has a mask and ask again to respect social distance
Step 2: in full action
- make decisions together as a team, listen to everybody's voice as much as possible
- try to stay calm at all times; check in every so often with your body and emotions; take a pause and concentrate on your breathing for a few moments if you notice any stressed or agitated feelings
- check on each other regularly
- repeat often that everybody can leave the action at any time, there is no need to be arrested if people don't want to or feel uncomfortable
- respect each others boundaries, listen to concerns, share your fears and support each other
- repeat often why you do this action, why you are here
- Go to the safe space you have organised with your affinity group and rest together
- if you feel like it already: do a debrief. You can find a format here
- call each other (buddies) after the action to check on everybody's wellbeing
- plan a meeting to fully debrief a couple of days after the action
WHAT TO BRING
- sunscreen or raincoat
- hand sanitizer, maybe gloves
- small medical kit (bandages, desinfectant, physiological serum, sanitary pads, tissues)
- food and drinks
- battery charger and power bank
- your ID card